WhatsApp has become a major communication medium for not just friends and family but also for businesses. When you, as a brand, decide to use WhatsApp to communicate with your potential and existing customers, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind.
As a communications professional for the better part of last decade, I think these guidelines should be part of your daily practices and also included in communication training for new hires.
Thinks to keep in mind when using WhatsApp for business communication:
- Take consent for using a client’s number for communication via WhatsApp
- Keep the tone, words and expressions professional.
- Send all the information in one message instead of breaking it down in many.
- Add a signature (name. company) at the end of your message.
- Keep your profile photo and about visible to everyone.
Equally important to keep in mind are things to avoid when using WhatsApp for business communication.
To begin with, do not over-communicate. Sending seven messages to confirm and remind a client of their appointment is excessive. So, time your messages and trust the person at the other end. Same goes for promotions; sale announcements should be spaced out, and should feel informative instead of badgering.
Other than that, stick to business hours for communication. Anything before 9am and after 6pm comes across impolite.
These were a few of my tips. Do you have any tips to add to the list?