I have been on a lookout for a nice gift for a friend who has just delivered an adorable baby girl. I didn’t know what I wanted, but just that it needs to be for the mom. I think mothers deserve to be celebrated – child birth is freaking hard, and that is just the beginning. There are years of toughing it out ahead, so a new mommy deserves all the love she can get. Also, most people gift baby things anyway. And I have no idea what a 20 day old baby needs. So, this is truly a win-win.
I asked you guys on Instagram to help me out, and had some really good responses. So I am compiling it here, so if anyone needs it in future, they know where to find it.
- I bought a customised lavender gift set from LUSH. It includes shower essentials, bath bomb and body cream. Lavender is known for it’s relaxing properties, so it seemed apt.
- I also bought a few slices of her favourite cake. She’s particular about halal ingredients in baked goodies, so I got it from Cafe Chokkolatta on Müllerstraße. An edible treat is ALWAYS a good idea.
- Face masks, so she can get much deserved R&R
- Scented candles – life is better when aromatic.
- Massage vouchers – if she prefers a particular place, go for it. Otherwise, there is Groupon and Treatwell.
- Gift sets from Rituals – I bought them for my sisters too. Just the fragrance is enough to bring down the crazy a notch.
- At home grooming kit – it can be a mani/pedi set or a box hair removal supplies.
- Chocolates – be sure to know what kind they like. It’s not fun when you only eat 70% and above, and someone gets you Cadbury Diary Milk.
- Body creams – try for something a little special than Nivea and Dove. Maybe L’Occitane?
- Flowers – guaranteed to bring a smile to her face.
- Home cooked meals – a hot bowl of daal and chawal, with a side of shami kebab goes a LONG way.
- Babysitting – so they can sleep uninterrupted for a few hours.
- Home cleaning services – if you are in Germany, there is Helpling, SpicAndSpan and BookaTiger.
- Body scrubs – something not too abrasive, and has a decadent fragrance. BodyShop?
- Luxe hand creams – I can vouch for L’Occitane and Molten Brown.
- Professional babysitter services so the couple can have a date night or just sleep
- Massage oils – Yves Rocher and Rituals both have delicious body and hair massage oils.
- Their favourite snacks – potato chips, popcorns, ice cream, something spicy, pickles, peanut butter, nutella jar, cheeses, french fries, cookies – pull out the stops.
- Hamam – Get her a voucher, so she can make a spa day of it.
- At home salon services – nothing like a manicure, pedicure or facial to make life better.
- Bras – post baby, eveything is different and most mothers need to go for new intimates. So a gift voucher for a lingerie store is a fab idea!
Also, tons and tons of compassion. And do not go on with unsolicited advice – if they need an opinion, they will ask for it.