I am a brownie and by default, I struggle with winters. I am not talking about the mild winters though. Instead, I am talking about the I-can’t-feel-my-toes ones. So I asked for help on my Instagram stories, and some of my seasoned followers came forward with AMAZING advice.
One thing that always gets me down during the winter is when my seasonal allergies return. A lot of people assume that seasonal allergies are only around in the spring and summer, but mine are always worse in the winter. That being said, I have found a few coping strategies that have made a big difference.
For example, a couple of years ago, I decided to get my HVAC system serviced by a team of HVAC specialists similar to one hour heating & air conditioning. You see, I read an article online that explained how the vents in our air conditioning systems can attract dust and debris that can harbor harmful allergens. Over time, as we spend longer indoors this can have a serious impact on your allergies!
Honestly, within days of getting my AC system cleaned and serviced I could tell the difference. Plus my home was much warmer afterward. This just goes to show how important it is to keep your HVAC system in good working order! Especially during the winter when colds, viruses, and allergies are rife. Consequently, if you would like to learn more about the advantages of getting your HVAC system serviced, you can find plenty of helpful resources here: completecomfort-hvac.com/areas-we-serve/lake-forest-ca/.
Anyway, what I am trying to say is that I know that many people struggle with these seasonal blues, so here I am, sharing 10 of the most recommended tips to help you stay human (and not turn into a sloth) this winter:
1. Supplements – check if you need some extra magnesium, vitamin D and/or b12. Also, cranberry juice helps boost happy hormones too.
2. Quick shower first thing in the morning (not happening for me)
3. 25-30 minutes workout first thing in the morning (I need 2 hours to thaw when I wake up, so also not for me)
4. Yerba Mate (coffee alternate, keen to try)
5. Philip’s Wakeup Light
6. Adequate water intake (keep a bottle with you always)
7. Stay out of bed, no matter how much you want to stay in (so so so hard; also, still in bed)
8. Less sugar, more protein and keep an eye on your coffee/tea consumption
9. Allergy tests, and yes, you can get allergies as an adult, especially when relocating across continents
10. Get your thyroid tested (sure, will do, for the 7th time)
And my favourite tip, which no one suggested but I will share anyway – hugs. Lots and lots of hugging and cuddling (with friends, partner, mom). Nothing will ever trump human warmth ?
Share this post with friends and family. We all need a reminder from time to time, and a little bit of a push ?
Stay warm folk(ses)!