Good morning folk(ses), kya haal? It’s a brand new, suuny week ahead and I am trying 1000% to soak in as much sun as possible to help me through the grey weeks ahead. But it’s hard, isn’t it? Winter blues are as true as hangry for me, and as a freelancer, it doesn’t do well for my projects and life in general. But, we will get through it. We are strong, vitamin D supplements do not require a prescription and there really isn’t any other way, so.. Happy Monday! Now, about this post – SEO for bloggers.
I don’t care much for the number of likes on social media but the number of readers on my blog is very very very important for me. And to make sure that my content reaches wide and far, I adhere to a few SEO rules.
For most content creators, SEO is this witch that you don’t want anything to do with. It’s complicated, mostly ruins the flow of your content when you try to keep it keyword dense (SEO 101), and is just plain difficult. I hear you, but unfortunately, you cannot just ignore it. If you have been ignoring it, you may have no idea how well your web presence relates to best practices and so you may want to use this free seo audit to inform you. You’ll be glad to hear that there are a few simple things that you can do (without pulling your hair out) to boost your SEO. They are truly basic, do not require coding or HTML edits, and do not come even close to your content.
If you are new to SEO, let me (actually WiKi) explain what it is. Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the process of increasing the quality and quantity of website traffic by increasing the visibility of a website or a web page to users of a web search engine. The better your SEO, the higher the traffic. Simple, eh? Now let’s get to improving your blog’s SEO:
Improving SEO through the title of your blog post/video
Whenever you’re naming something, whether it’s a blog post or a picture, make sure it’s VERY SEO friendly. If you’re not sure how to do this, contact an seo optimization company for some help and advice. A quick and easy trick to help you choose title for your blog post is Google Autocomplete. Type in some of your post’s keywords (e.g. peplum blouse) and see what pops up (e.g how to wear a peplum blouse). Ta-dah! A strong title is born and you just aced SEO for bloggers. Use Google Autocomplete to help you with your titles for better SEO and traction.
Improving SEO for bloggers through Link Building
Link building is (essentially) getting other websites/blogs to link to your site. It’s one of the best ways to optimise for search engines and increase traffic. It can increase your authority, relevancy and rank with readers & Google. Here are some of tried and tested ways to increase & build backlinks:
- GET PUBLISHED: Submit pieces to blogger resource website, industry sites, or other blogs who are looking for guest posts.
- COLLABORATION POSTS: Team up with another blogger to do a collaborative post. This is a great way to not only make a friend in the industry but promote each other as well!
- DO INTERVIEWS: Whether it’s for a local magazine or a big news site, interviews are a great way to link back to your blog.
A backlink is your friend in shadows, who helps improve your ranking and reach. I will be happy to guide and collaborate with bloggers here for link building if you want to.
Improving SEO through pictures
Make sure to always name your photos. This can really affect SEO. Keep it simple and think “what would I Google to get here?” Images have a great potential to drive traffic to your blog, as long as they are named properly. Naming your photos and using ALT tags tells search engines what exactly is in the image so that it shows up when people are searching for a similar image. A few tips to get the most out of the images you post on your blog:
- FILE SIZE: Depending on your template and site design, you should always reduce the size of your images (between 1000 px – 1500 px wide is normally perfect)
- RENAME YOUR IMAGES: If you’re uploading images with names like “img_3357” you’re missing a BIG opportunity! Change the name to include a few keywords for the post. Google combs through this information when ranking your site.
- DON’T KEYWORD STUFF: This is when you add the same keyword(s) over and over. Google doesn’t like the repetition and this can actually hurt your SEO. Instead, get creative. Think of what readers would be searching for & add a variety of important relevant terms.
Improve SEO for bloggers through a plugin
If you’re using WordPress.org to host your blog there are quite a few plugins that can help with your SEO and there are also various wp seo services that can be used to grow your site’s popularity. And here is the #1 plugin we recommend!
- YOAST-SEO: Probably the most important of plugins for SEO for bloggers! It takes most of the SEO legwork out for you by automatically adding meta-tags & optimised info for Google. It even gives a simple colour-coded tag for each post informing you if your SEO is up to par, plus how you can improve it!
I have been using Yoast for about a year, and it does make life a whole lot easier.
Improving SEO through active listening
While you make all sorts of efforts at your end to improve your site’s ranking, Google also pitches in with a keyword report.
If you’ve been using Google Analytics for a while now, you might notice that on your “keywords” report, a large majority are listed as “not provided.” This means that you’re missing out on a huge opportunity to learn what people are searching for that leads them to your site. AKA how to get more readers clicking to your site and stepping up your SEO game.
To fix this and make most of the data that Google send back your way, here’s what you need to do:
- Head to Acquisitions > Search Engine Optimisation > Queries in your dashboard
- From here you’ll set up the Webmasters Tool by following the easy instructions
That’s all! Now you should spend some time looking through your most popular keywords and ranking in Google. This will help you understand what kind of content is most read and appreciated, and you can then factor in these results in your content strategy. SEO can be pretty difficult to do if you don’t have much knowledge in the subject area. Luckily, with websites like platformcreator.com, you can get all the help you need at the click of a button. Or, you can try these SEO techniques yourself before calling a professional in, it’s up to you!
If you have any tips to boost SEO for bloggers, please do share them in comments.