Contrary to the popular, ‘industrial’ belief, layering has absolutely nothing to do with a region’s climatic conditions. It’s a way fashionistas create unique, individual looks from items in their wardrobe. In case you have infinite money, please feel free to buy designer-everything (including capsule collections and limited editions) – it is such an easy option and no brainer really. But if you are just a regular girl (like myself) and love all-things-fashion, you need to learn to the art of layering darling. And what better time than winter to experiment and find your own unique style.
My Top 10 Layering Basics:
- Use a mélange of textures and materials – silk and suede are any day better than silk and satin
- In my opinion, you can choose either different shades of a color or contrasting hues. When worn right, both options can look great.
- Same pattern on pattern – kill me instead. Imagine a leopard shirt with tiger print jacket and zebra print scarf (NO!)
- One of the most common layering faux pas is that by the end, you look ‘masculine’. To fix that, cinch it with a belt or add Sworovski. Gems encrusted heels or pointy-toe pumps can be your fix as well.
- If weather permits, don’t go beyond 3 items at a time. Imagine a flimsy lace camisole with a plain shirt and floral jacket -Perfect. Too bulky and you will struggle al day long.
- If you can, invest in a tailored vest. It will never let you down.
- Turn your bulky coat in a cape amd drape it around our shoulders. Uber Chic!
- Universal rule of tight top and loose pants and skirts must be used for the END look.
- If your choice of colors looks too dark or drab, throw on a colorful, bright scarf or a long strap bag.
- Accessorize. It is almost as important as EVERYTHING you wear.
Wanna layer like a pro? Here’s some inspiration from POPSUGAR.