Coffee is life, but dairy is not your friend. When you change your lifestyle to low carb and high fat, dairy has to leave. But there is no way we could give up on our favourite hot beverage, so we worked a way around it, made use of what was allowed, Googled hundred of recipes, tried a dozen and have now decided on one that hits the spot beautifully.
This recipe is an enhanced version of the classic bulletproof coffee. It is foamy and frothy, aromatic (vanilla), splash of cinnamon warms you up on a grey winter morning and coffee kicks you awake just as it is meant to. It is delicious, and takes no more than three minutes to prepare.
WHAT WOULD YOU NEED:
- 1 tsp powdered coffee
- 1 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Brew 3/4 cup of coffee as you normally would. We used Nescafe Instant Coffee (as lazy and miserly), but feel free to use organic/freshly roasted and ground coffee for a truly delicious cup. Nescafe works for me.
- Add all the other ingredients in a pan and heat them up. Butter and coconut oil should be melted, and milk hot. This is very important, otherwise the coffee wouldn’t be hot (or won’t stay hot long enough).
- Add brewed coffee and heated milk-butter-coconut-cinnamon-vanilla mixture to a blender, and blend for 10-15 seconds. Mixing them together manually doesn’t work. You need to blend it to mix coffee with butter and coconut oil.
- Pour it in your favourite mug and enjoy!
You can add stevia if you want it to be sweet. Vanilla lends it a sweet aroma, so sugar can be skipped altogether. There is cinnamon for taste and depth, and almond milk for froth. This is not meant to replace your coffee; it is heavy enough to replace an entire meal.
Do give it a try and let us know your thoughts. If you make a variation and it works, please share and we’d give it a go as well.
Happy low carbing everyone!
P.S. For low carb newbies who do not know what bulletproof coffee is, let us help (we don’t judge!). Bulletproof Coffee is, essentially, a hot coffee, plus two tablespoons of butter, plus a tablespoon of MCT oil (that’s medium chain triglyceride oil, which we’ll talk more about in a minute). Then you stick it in a blender until it’s all emulsified. Then you drink it – source: Gizmodo.