Ridding Yourself of Shame
It’s only human to make mistakes, and we all have done things of which we’re not proud. Although time can blur the memory and alleviate the pain of stressful incidents from our past, often it’s not a simple task to overcome the guilt that stems from actions in our past. This could be something as relatively innocuous as telling a small lie or as profound and life-changing as cheating on someone in a romantic relationship.
It isn’t easy to live with this kind of burden, especially since guilt fuels the fire that keeps the conscience alive. Guilt’s primary purpose is to make us acknowledge the wrongness of our actions so we don’t repeat those same mistakes. But it’s important to realize that once guilt brings you to that point, there remains no reason for you to cling to it or be burdened by it. That said, overcoming guilt is often more easily said than done.
Frequently our memories of past actions can become so incredibly ingrained in our subconscious that it seems almost impossible to release the guilt associated with it. As a result, our increased level of shame makes it even more challenging to get over the guilt. However, therapy that re-programs the subconscious through clinical hypnosis can help you release shameful memories.
How Clinical Hypnosis Works
The language of visuals are readily understood by the subconscious mind; therefore, visualization exercises that send messages to the subconscious and breathing exercises that calm the conscious mind can aide in clinical hypnosis therapy.
Knowing we have harmed or hurt someone can cause grave guilt, and to get over that shame might require the help of a trained therapist. However, when the guilt and shame are not so profound, engaging in self-hypnosis exercises can help you release these painful memories and the associated shame and guilt. Try this simple self-hypnosis exercise:
- Sit or lie in a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes.
- Breathe deeply, paying close attention to every inhale and exhale.
- Feel every in breath travel to the pit of your stomach as you feel your body relax with every out breath.
- Imagine you are breathing in white light and positive energy with every inhale and breathing out all your stress and anxiety with every exhale.
- Visualize a beam of white light entering your body through the top of your head, and allow the light to travel to every part of your body.
- Focus on each part of your body as the light travels to it, allowing the light to relax every muscle, cell and fiber of your body.
- Let the light leave your body through the soles of your feet.
- Now envision yourself standing on a beach.
- Feel the refreshing sea breeze brush you face and the wet sand relax the soles of your feet.
- Take your time to admire the vastness of the sea while you gaze as far as your vision extends. Look toward the horizon and admire the gorgeous illusion of the earth meeting the sky.
- Now look at your feet, where you will find a wooden stick lying nearby.
- Pick up the stick and write in the sand the names of those whom you have hurt/abused or from whom you seek forgiveness.
- Now imagine that a wave clears away all the names you have written.
- Send up a silent prayer requesting forgiveness from the universe and everyone you have hurt, letting the sea of life wash away the guilty memories of your past.
- Take your time to say what you want to everyone from whom you wish to ask forgiveness.
- Relax, then slowly, open your eyes.
Frequently repeating this exercise can assist you in resolving your past shame. That said, this does not mean you will be able to release the karmic baggage associated with your actions or even condone them. However, it will help you leave behind the past so you can offer yourself another chance to become a better person.
Until next time, embrace your inner wisdom.
Source: Yahoo! Shine